Friday, February 12, 2010

Food, Inc Post I

I found it interesting that the film showed through text that just about every business except the Danon yogurt company denied interviews and showing of certain battery cages. This was alarming to me because if the company doesn’t want the public to see it, then it is something that shouldn’t be occurring. My guess is that businesses felt if they showed it to the public (consumers), they wouldn’t want to support that and quit buying food from them. Tyson, which is a leading brand in meat and chicken, denied access and interviews to Food, Inc, I think because they have something to hide. Maybe they are trying to hide something from the USDA because Tyson knows they are breaking rules. This would hurt the company’s profits. Another fact that I learned was the antibiotics and fast growing chemicals used for the growth of chickens. The Food, Inc showed how chickens are forced to grow too big and cant take more than a step or two without falling to the grown. I am not a person really concerned with treating animals like humans but force feeding and force growing a life form to me is unethical, even if it means more profit. I don’t like the fact that I will be eating that chicken that has been enhanced unnaturally and fed harmful chemicals that can affect me. I think the book and the movie work perfectly together to reiterate the point that something needs to be done. The book describes animal cruelty that made me realize that something needs to be done by America. I don’t like reading at all but I find myself interested in this book. I think part of the reason too, is the fact that there is a movie that goes along with the book. That helps me visualize and engage my brain into the subject at hand. The book helps with enforcing the facts and the things that people can do about this problem. The movie makes it interesting and provides visuals to the problem making it more real to the viewer. Anyone can make a movie and anyone can write a book. But to write a book and movie that seamlessly connects all the dots is something that needs to be paid attention too. I also loved what the farmer in the movie Food, Inc said about big businesses and natural farming. I agreed with all of his statements about the need for letting animals naturally do what they do. Another fact that I never thought about was E coli and how it has occurred throughout food. The feeding of cattle with corn is the cause for it. This should be able to be prevented, and companies are interrupting the natural process. Cattle should eat grass not be fed corn that can cause E coli in the meat.

1 comment: